Can you explain getting an upper GI endoscopy with versed as a "conscious sedation"?

Conscious sedation. Conscious sedation often uses versed or Valium combined with fentanyl or Demerol (meperidine hydrochloride) to achieve a dreamy state where you relax & often "forget." in this state, procedures like upper endoscopy, colonoscopy, etc. Can be performed. The sedation lingers sometimes for hours, effecting both amnesia as well as a prolonged groggy sensation. Traditionally, you "recover" before discharge for 1/2 hour post-test.