What is the best way to wean off of norco (hydrocodone and acetaminophen) and to avoid withdrawal symptoms?

Professional help. Seek the help of a physician who knows how to detox people from opiates. A very good alternative is to stop the Norco (hydrocodone and acetaminophen) ( hydrocodone/ apap), and start Suboxone or subatec. These medications block the withdrawal symptoms without giving one a " high". After a period of time, one weans off the soboxone/ subatec. There are other methods, such as methadone, Norco (hydrocodone and acetaminophen) taper, & meds that target withdrawal sx.
Taper . How long you do the taper over and what side effects you have will depend on the dose and how long you've been on it. Sometimes Clonidine and valium are given to help with withdrawal symptoms. Suboxone is option but really for severe cases.
Buprenorphine helps. Ask your physician about using Buprenorphine for detoxification and/or maintenance. You may need referral to a specialist who prescribes this medication. Also consider attending a meeting of narcotics anonymous.