At what rate does iodine deficiency lead to hypothyroidism?

Dr. Mike Bowman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Months

Iodine deficiency is uncommon in the USA and civilized countries given the presence of iodized salt and the relative availability of seafood.
It is still a sizable problem in the developing world however. It would probably take at least a month or two (if not longer) before a low iodine diet would lead to clinical hypothyroidism. The use of iodized salt generally will prevent this problem.

In brief: Months

Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Su Fairchild
Integrative Medicine

In brief: Depends

Hypothyroidism is multifactorial, and frank iodine deficiency rare.
How quickly hypothyroidism develops due to iodine deficiency depends on the severity as well as other confounding factors, and could be months to years. I usually find borderline iodine deficiency in people. A drop of lugol's twice a week in water can help.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Su Fairchild
Dr. Su Fairchild
Dr. Steven Seres