What is the first sign of macular degeneration?

Dr. Samuel Barone
Ophthalmology

In brief: Vision changes

The first symptom most people experience with macular degeneration is a change in vision.
An amsler grid is a simple screening tool available for home use that can allow patients who are at risk for macular degeneration to monitor for such changes.

In brief: Vision changes

Dr. Samuel Barone
Dr. Samuel Barone
Dr. Maziar Lalezary
Most of the time, patients do not notice vision changes. The earliest findings are discovered on a dilated examination of the retina.
Dr. Michael Ham
Ophthalmology

In brief: Varries

I have seen patients with many different symptoms (first sign) of macular degeneration.
The most common is decreased ability to read (or need more light to read) or difficulty adapting to sudden changes in the lighting in the environment; light to dark or dark to light situations.

In brief: Varries

Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Michael Ham