I have a brown spot in my conjunctiva?

Dr. Brock Ridenour
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: See your eye doctor
The conjunctiva is the clear tissue that covers the white part of the eyeball.
There are cells that contain pigment located in the conjunctiva. These cells can produce excessive pigment and cause brown spots in the eye. The british journal of ophthalmology report that these spots should be examined regularly by an eye care practitioner as up to 30 percent of them can become cancerous.

In brief: See your eye doctor
Dr. Brock Ridenour
Dr. Brock Ridenour
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology
In brief: Nevus
Pigmented cells distribute themselves througout the body during fetal life.
Some lodge in the conjunctiva and this is more common in pigmented races. Overtime these cells can divide and grow a little and cause brown spots. They are usually benign but extremely rarely, and I mean extremely, there can be a melanoma arising from these. If it is changing, see your ophthalmologist.

In brief: Nevus
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger