Is laser treatment common for hyperpigmentation?

Yes. Yes. It is often utilized to treat hyperpigmentation from aging, sun damage and melasma. With melasma it is important to do a test area prior to complete treatment to ensure there is not worsening of the condition. There are several topical preparations that can also aid in the treatment of hyperpigmentation .
Hyperpigmentation. There are many types of hyperpigmentation, and therefore many different treatments. Lasers are best used for hyperpigmentation related to chronic sun damage and some types of birth marks. Recently, we have also had better success using lasers for melasma. Other types of hyperpigmentation, such as post-inflammatory as seen after acne, burns, or other trauma, are not generally responsive to laser.
Yes. Recent studies have shown that combination of microdermabrasion followed y q switch ndyag laser used for tattoo removal has no downrimeand a more consistent result than fractionated lasers. This can be used safely on darker skin tones. The addition of coffeberry extract from stiefel maximizes the results.
Laser and darkening. Treatment of hyperpigmentation can worsen the pigment since the individual who gets dark has a certain susceptibility to post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Fraxel laser, whether the restore or dual may help reduce the pigmentation. Usually there are special creams that are used as well to decrease the possiblility of post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
Usually. Hyperpigmentation can be caused by prior scars or inflammation of the skin and is more common in patients who tan easily. It can also be related to sun exposure or hormones & sun (melasma). Specific pigment targeted lasers can be very beneficial in breaking this pigment up and work much faster than peels or creams. Skin peels, hydroquinone, retinols & sunscreen can be helpful for maintenance.
Lasers and peels. Treatment for hyperpigmentation varies. Depending on the severity, the duration and your skin tone, you can use good skin care products such as obagi, have medium to deep peels or use lasers such as the pixel resurfacing laser. Speak with a qualified cosmetic physician to see what you should use.