Has anyone experienced itchy rash taking wellbutrin (bupropion) sr?

I have practiced psychiatry for over 20 years and have prescribed a lot of wellbutrin (bupropion) in that time.
I can recall three patients who got a rash from the drug. One had welts, the other two a fine, poison ivy like rash. In all three, the rash resolved after wellbutrin (bupropion) was stopped. Rash is possible, but not unique to wellbutrin (bupropion). Stop any drug that cuases rash and notify your doctor asap.

Dr. Brandon Riesenmy
Dr. Brandon Riesenmy
Dr. Mary Ann Ty
Some medications can cause allergic reaction, and wellbutrin (bupropion) is certainly one which may be more commonly associated with rash or itching or both.
I usually ask my patients to stop the medication and wait for the rash to dissapear, unless antihistamines work. You may need to call your md to see what he or she would suggest.

Dr. Mary Ann Ty
Dr. Mary Ann Ty
Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: Allergy
Rare, incidence less than 0.
1%. I had come across two cases over past 5 yrs. Switching to wellbutrin (bupropion) -xl worked.

In brief: Allergy
Rare, incidence less than 0.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Douglas Bey
In brief: Coating generic
Ive been prescribing psychotropics for 50 years (since 1961) and i agree--in my experience it seemed to be pts on the generic form of wellbutrin (bupropion) & they were allergic to the dye in the coating of the tablet.

In brief: Coating generic
Dr. Douglas Bey
Dr. Douglas Bey
Dr. Eric Weisman