Has anyone had vitrectomy recommended to get rid of floaters? How bad were they?

Dr. Michael Ham
Ophthalmology

I have a handful of patients who have had surgery (vitrectomy) for their floaters.
Usually they have to be bad enough to affect activities of daily living. For example one patient had them so bad that if they floated in the way of her central vision she could not see on coming vehicles while driving.

Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Richard Scartozzi
Ophthalmology - Retinal Surgery

In brief: See below

"floaters" are usually not enough of a reason to have vitrectomy surgery which has its own inherent risks.
Usually some pathology is required in order to require vitrectomy. See your retina specialist or get a second opinion.

In brief: See below

Dr. Richard Scartozzi
Dr. Richard Scartozzi