What anesthesia would you have for a vitrectomy?

Dr. Richard Scartozzi
Ophthalmology - Retinal Surgery

In brief: See below

You could have general anesthesia or you could have intravenous sedation combined with a local anesthetic (e.
g., retrobulbar).

In brief: See below

g., retrobulbar).
Dr. Richard Scartozzi
Dr. Richard Scartozzi
Dr. Mitchell Zeitler
Anesthesiology

In brief: Topical

If it was me i would only want topical local anesthesia which the surgeon places by applying drops to the eye.
You may or may not need sedation but i'm sure it will be available for you.

In brief: Topical

Dr. Mitchell Zeitler
Dr. Mitchell Zeitler
Dr. Stephen Khachikian
Ophthalmology

In brief: IV and periocular

You would likely receive a periocular injection and some intravenous sedation for a vitrectomy.

In brief: IV and periocular

Dr. Stephen Khachikian
Dr. Stephen Khachikian
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology

In brief: Topical local anes.

Usually this procedure can be done with the application of local anesthesia directly to the eye.
In most cases there is also the use of a sedative to relax the patient for the procedure.

In brief: Topical local anes.

Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard