What anesthesia would you have for a vitrectomy?

Dr. Richard Scartozzi
Ophthalmology - Retinal Surgery
In brief: See below
You could have general anesthesia or you could have intravenous sedation combined with a local anesthetic (e.
g., retrobulbar).

In brief: See below
g., retrobulbar).
Dr. Richard Scartozzi
Dr. Richard Scartozzi
Dr. Mitchell Zeitler
Anesthesiology
In brief: Topical
If it was me i would only want topical local anesthesia which the surgeon places by applying drops to the eye.
You may or may not need sedation but i'm sure it will be available for you.

In brief: Topical
Dr. Mitchell Zeitler
Dr. Mitchell Zeitler
Dr. Stephen Khachikian
Ophthalmology
In brief: IV and periocular
You would likely receive a periocular injection and some intravenous sedation for a vitrectomy.

In brief: IV and periocular
Dr. Stephen Khachikian
Dr. Stephen Khachikian
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology
In brief: Topical local anes.
Usually this procedure can be done with the application of local anesthesia directly to the eye.
In most cases there is also the use of a sedative to relax the patient for the procedure.

In brief: Topical local anes.
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard