Selective laser trabeculoplasty for glaucoma == what is it like?

Light flashes. Your ophthalmologist or glaucoma specialist uses this device to administered an moderately intense laser beam to the drainage sites of the eye (meshwork) to cause them to transmit fluid better and lower the internal eye pressure. It is usually painless, rapid and the response follows quickly.
Brief and painless. Slt selectively targets pigment cells in the trabecular meshwork triggering an inflammatory response which recruits macrophages to clean out the meshwork increasing flow and thereby lowering intraocular pressure. The energy used is 1/5000 less than used in the original argon laser trabeculoplasty preventing inadvertant damage to the meshwork's structure which could eventually decrease outflow.

Related Questions

Selective laser trabeculoplasty glaucoma treatment! What is this like?

Benign. This is performed under topical (drops) anesthesia - no needles, no hospital admission, no advance preparation. A special lens is placed on the numbed eye, and the instrument is focused on the internal fluid drainage system and you may notice a series of light flashes. Afterwards there is no pain or ill effects. Your ophthalmologist will want to see you the next day when the effect starts. Read more...

How effective is argon laser trabeculoplasty as a glaucoma treatment? I have primary open-angle glaucoma and my doctor has recommended argon laser trabeculoplasty surgery. Is this an effective glaucoma treatment? Are there any serious risks or side effect

Laser . Laser trabeculoplasty is effective at reducing the eye pressure in about 85% of patients. The remaining 15% do not get a pressure reduction, but these patients are no worse off. Complications are very rare with laser trabeculoplasty. Read more...
Yes and no. Most doctors have favored slt, selective laser trabeculoplasty over alt because it doesnt cause holes in the trabecular meshwork (drain of your eye) and its repeatable, up to 5-7 times. Alt is very effective, however slt is just as if not more effective and can be repeated multiple times. Read more...