How do you get blood clots? What in the blood decides to clot up?

Flow/vessels/protein. Clots can form when: blood flow slows or stops, a blood vessel wall is injured or components of your blood support or promote coagulation. We are always clotting and unclotting a little. When one of the factors noted above tips the scale there is rapid propagation of clot.
Stasis. Circulating blood loves to "keep moving"!, it also is assisted by muscle contraction and movement and unfortunately a sedentary lifestyle or prolonged periods of inactivity facilitate the "clotting factors" in the blood activating causing clots that rarely "stay home" but travel to distant places like the lungs(pulmonary embolism).