What is a nodular goiter?

Thyroid with masses. Goiter usually means an enlarged thyroid gland, but can also refer a normal-sized gland with nodules or masses within it. Thyroid nodules are areas within the gland that stick out from the gland and can be felt when pressing on the neck, or may be areas that appear different from the normal gland on imaging tests like ultrasound or cat scans.
Large thyroid. Goiter just means large thyroid, some of which contain nodules. Ultrasound is the best way to evaluate with needle biopsy for all nodules > 10 mm. Also get tsh, free T4 and free T3 (liothyronine) to see how it works and anti thyroid peroxidase and anti thyroglobulin levels to see if hashimoto's thyroiditis.