I have had superficial thrombophlebitis in my varicose veins in my left leg. How do I prevent it for the future?

Dr. Mark Nielsen
Phlebology

In brief: Treat varicose veins

Prevention of recurrent superficial thrombophlebitis of varicose veins centers around the treatment of the varicose veins themselves.
There are a variety of treatment options available and i would recommend that you see a vein specialist/phlebologist. In the meatime, compression stockings may aid in preventing recurence. Your physician may want to check you for clotting abnormalites as well.

In brief: Treat varicose veins

Dr. Norman Chideckel
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Superficial

you should be evaluated to determine if there is a venous reflux issue.
This evaluation is best accomplished by a venous Doppler-sonogram. A venous thrombosis in a varicose vein is most likely secondary to venous reflux,, and if so then the vein should be treated most likely with a thermal ablation procedure.

In brief: Superficial

Dr. Brandon Macy
Podiatry

In brief: Support socks...

And hosiery can help.
Consult with your doctor about why you may have had the problem in the first place. You may need to be put on a blood thinner, or at least a daily dose of aspirin. On plane trips, make sure you get up and walk around often.

In brief: Support socks...

And hosiery can help.
Dr. Adam Smith