I have severe peripheral vascular disease. My dr is trying his best to prevent having to amputate. Any new therapies?

Stem cell therapy. The latest developments in treatment of pad is the use of stem cells to stimulate the development of collateral vessels. This is experimental at this time. Currently there is a study that you may qualify for if there are no other surgical or endovascular options for you. Initial, small studies were promising for limb salvage.
Stents. I do not know what you have tried but you should have done the following: stop smoking, structured daily walking routine, take a statin (such as lipitor), take an aspirin, keep your diabetes under tight control, see a vascular surgeon who can provide treatments like stents or possibly a bypass to improve the blood flow in your legs.