Can a goiter grow back after being removed?

Dr. Mike Bowman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
It is not common, but is possible.
I don't recommend it myself, but some surgeons perform subtotal thyroidectomies, where they only remove a portion of the gland. This dramatically increases the chances of thyroid regrowth. However, even after a standard thyroidectomy, it very rarely possible for the thyroid to regrow from the minute amount of tissue that may be left behind.

It is not common, but is possible.
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Mark Loury
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Possibly
Some surgeons leave a small remnant of thyroid during thyroidectomy to prevent complications but it can re-enlarge.
If only one side were removed then the remaining gland can continue to, get bigger.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. Mark Loury
Dr. Mark Loury
Dr. Adam Smith