I have a blood clots in my lung and calf of my leg. Am I not allowed to exercise so not to shift the clots upwards?

Dr. Carlo Contreras
Surgery - Oncology
In brief: Only temporarily
In the short term, it is advisable to avoid strenous activity in an effort to prevent movement of the clots.
Generally, after you have been on appropriate blood thinners for a reasonable amount of time, your doctor will clear you to participate in normal levels of activity. In fact, as you recover, activity can help reduce your risk of developing swelling in your legs.

In brief: Only temporarily
Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Shadi Abu Halimah
Surgery - Vascular
In brief: Not true
As long as you have been started on blood thinners like Heparin and warfarin then it is advised to walk and avoid lying down with no activity.
You should do that with a compression stocking 30-40 mmhg but no strenuous excercise.

In brief: Not true
Dr. Shadi Abu Halimah
Dr. Shadi Abu Halimah
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology