I have antibiotic allergies, but need one for abscessed tooth? Should I go ahead and take it?

Dr. David Stall
Dentistry
In brief: Tough situation
You did not say what antibiotics you are allergic to.
However, I have not seen anyone that could not receive a substitute antibiotic that you are not allergic to. Check with your md about options and inform your dentist.

In brief: Tough situation
Dr. David Stall
Dr. David Stall
Dr. John Leander Po
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: Alternatives!
Several antibiotics from different classes can be used if you are allergic to a specific antibiotic.
In most situations, it is important to have the infected tooth pulled and the pus drained. Why? Antibiotics alone cannot kill the overwhelming amount of bacteria that is in the pus pocket.Bringing down the bug burden through extraction and drainage makes it easier for the antibiotics to do its job.

In brief: Alternatives!
Dr. John Leander Po
Dr. John Leander Po
Dr. Bruce Pope
All to often people confuse an allergic reaction to a side effect and denie themselves the use of a class of antibiotics they are not actually allegic
Dr. Janet Greenhut
Preventive Medicine
In brief: Ask your dentist
Your dentist should be able to recommend an antibiotic that is safe for you to take.

In brief: Ask your dentist
Dr. Janet Greenhut
Dr. Janet Greenhut
Dr. Kim Capehart
Dentistry
In brief: Call Doctor
Infections will be gone when the source of the infection is gone, such as abscessed tooth, but antibiotics are very important to minimize infection.
Local anesthesia cannot travel through infections so when you get "numbed" up, you'll still feel discomfort unless infection is gone. If you had an allergic reaction, please contact your doctor or ed. You may need to have your antibiotic changed.

In brief: Call Doctor
Dr. Kim Capehart
Dr. Kim Capehart
Dr. Vicken Poochikian