Allergy testing babies; how old do they need to be?

Dr. Andrew Murphy
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Any age
Anyone can be tested at any age.
This issue is what is being tested for. Typically the very young food allergy or some indoor allergens are suspected as allergens. In an infant only a handful of skin test would be appropriate, .

In brief: Any age
Anyone can be tested at any age.
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Andrew Murphy
In brief: Gain vs pain
Congestion in babies is primarily due to small nasal passages & irritants in the air or simple colds.
Many health plans won't cover tests for air born allergens until >4y due to lack of consistency in the young. Testing for food allergies is often helpful but local drs back up blood tests with skin tests.I generally wait until 6m & a pattern of recurrent nasal/ear infections before recomending it.

In brief: Gain vs pain
Dr. Shontae Buffington