What are the side effects of advair diskus (salmeterol and fluticasone) and is it safe to use for 6 months or more?

Dr. John Overholt
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Safe to use

Advair contains fluticasone, a steroid, and salmeterol, a long acting bronchodialtor. Any inhaled steroid can cause thrush so be sure to rinse your mouth well after use.
I've also seen hoarseness with advair, especially if one does not inhale forcefully. Salmeterol can cause leg cramps at night. Regular use of advair is much safer than the alternative of episodic use of oral steroids.

In brief: Safe to use

Dr. John Overholt
Dr. John Overholt
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology