I have a sore swollen lymph node & a sore throat. Do I have to go to the doctor? I think i'll be fine by the time they give me an appointment anyway

No. You may just have a viral sore throat. Try salt water gargles an over the counter medication for pain like ibuprofen. You'll get better on your own. However you could have strep throat so if you also have fever, headache no cough or nasal congestion. You should be seen by a doctor. If your doctor can't get you in go to an urgent care but not the emergency room.
No. If sore throat and swollen lymph node resolve in less that 10 days probably not anything to worry about.