If my girlfriend is taking medication to reduce shredding for her genital herpes, if I want to perform oral, what are my chances of getting oral herpe?

Dr. Stephen Daquino
Sports Medicine
In brief: Decent chance
Even if she has no lesions, you still have the chance of contracting a herpes infection.
Use a barrier device, like a dental dam, or to be 100% certain you don't contract the infection you should abstain. Remember once you get a herpes infection there is no cure. Only suppressive therapy.

In brief: Decent chance
Dr. Stephen Daquino
Dr. Stephen Daquino
Dr. David Kurss
In brief: Still possible
Antiviral medications, like valtrex, (valacyclovir) have been shown to reduce viral shedding however it does not totally eliminate the risk of transmission.
Additionally, be aware that the most common presentation of genital herpes is no lesion. Therefore, shedding frequently occurs in the absence of lesions.

In brief: Still possible
Dr. David Kurss
Dr. David Kurss