7 weeks of mid back pain. As the day progresses, the pain is almost gone but when I first wake up in the morning the stiffness is terrible. Ideas?

Morning back pain. This pattern somes very much like either degenerative arthritis (the normal wear-and-tear arthritis that we all get or a more unusual condition called ankylosing spondylitis. Also worth checking the firmness of your mattress. For help in sorting it out, see a doctor and consider an x-ray.
Check it out. Morning stiffness that may last for hours, is sign for arthritis, be sure to check it out, it could be osteoarthritis or could be rheumatoid arthritis.
Muscoligamentous/ Sound like you have a musculoligamentou sprain/strain. Would recommend stretching exercises and an otc NSAID, such as aleve (naproxen). If your symptoms persist then you should see your family physician.