Does a smoldering appendix exist? Had a doctor tell me last week that he did not believe in it. I've had lower right side abdom. Pain for 7 months..

It is possible. During residency many years ago, the chief of surgery talked about folks that had a smoldering appendix. He felt that folks that started to have appendicitis, for any number of reasons...Improved (sort of like diverticulitis that strikes off and on for years...After all the appendix if felt by many to just be a "bigger diverticula" of sorts.
Very, very rare. Appendicitis usually manifests itself as an acute episode of pain that, left untreated, will lead to rupture within 3-4 days of onset. Once in a blue moon we will see someone who has had a smoldering process yet they will always have some evidence of inflammation of the appendix on ct scan. If you have had a ct and it is normal, I would search for other causes of this pain.