When is the best time to take a calcium supplement with vitamin d supplement?

It depends. Most vitamin d3 supplements are best taken with food. Calcium carbonate should be taken with food, so you may take both at the same meal. Calcium citrate can be taken with or without food.
For a lot of reasons. Calcium plays a vital role in body function. It regulates muscle contraction, nerve conduction and bone health among others. Both calcium and vitamin d should be taken with a meal (only exception will be calcium citrate which can be taken on empty stomach).