What is a spinal fusion?

Just like it sounds. Its when multiple vertebrae are fused together so they no longer move. You sacrifice some of your range of motion for pain relief. Be sure you have exausted all conservative measures first, because once its done, there's no going back.
Pain reliever. Spine fusions are done for painful spine conditions that have not responded to non-operative measures in the appropriate patient. The spine is made of bony segments that move on each other through soft tissue segments that are more flexible. Some people will have pain relief if that motion is stopped by encouraging bone to grow across the soft tissue segments, fusing the 2 bone segments together.
Arthrodesis. A procedure that unite 2 or more spinal segments together using bone graft material. It may require the usage of cages , pedical screws and rods.