I was told I have a fat containing umblical hernia can that be causing my ruq pain?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: RightChurch,WrongPew
Umbilical hernias certainly can cause pain, but it is usually localized to the area of the hernia.
A simple test is to touch the hernia: if this does not reproduce your RUQ pain, i would search for other causes (gallstones are usually the first things we think of in the ruq). Good luck!

In brief: RightChurch,WrongPew
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Dan Fisher
Umbilical hernias can cause discomfort or pain.
A hernia is just a bulging of tissue through a weakened muscle- inyour case through the anterior abdominal wall. Apparently yours contains fat, but larger hernias may contain protrusions of bowel. If it is persistently painful you should talk with your doc about options.

Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery