I have a chronic runny nose during allergy season, but no other allergy symptoms such as itchy eyes or sneezing. Is there an antihistamine that tends to work better for runny nose only? How long should I stay on an antihistamine to tell if it works befo

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Allegra & Claritin (loratadine)

Allegra (fexofenadine) & Claritin (loratadine) (loratidine) have the advantage of long duration of action (~24 hours) and lack of sedation.
Zyrtec (cetirizine) is nearly as good but 1 in 12 users get drowsy on this one. All otc antihistamines treat all symptoms of allergic noses and eyes except for stuffy nose. Buy the generic versions and get the same effect at lower cost.

Dr. Dan Fisher

In brief: Nasal medications

Nasal steroids and nasal antihistamines might work better. The other possibility is that you do not have allergy and just have vasomotor rhinitis or irritant rhinitis.
This may be approached with different medications.

In brief: Nasal medications

Dr. Marsha Davis