I'm nursing, how many oz should my week old be eating? And how often?

In brief: Rough estimate
Babies consume roughly 1/2 their pound weight as ounces at a feeding after it is well established.
For a 8 lb kid that equates to ~ 4 ounces. For breast fed kids i find it better to count diapers than ounces. Too many moms get stuck on quantity & express & bottle feed to watch volume.If baby is wetting a diaper every 4-6 hours and filling out, it is doing fine.

In brief: Rough estimate
Dr. Louis Krenn
In brief: 1-2oz
A week old child will probably eat 1-2oz every 1-3 hours.
Breast fed babies tend to want to eat more often, usually every 1-2 hours and should eat for about 20 minutes from each breast. A week old child should not go longer than 3 hours between feedings.

In brief: 1-2oz
Dr. Louis Krenn
Dr. Louis Krenn
Dr. Touraj Shafai
In brief: No need to know
There is no need to know how many ounces your one week old baby is getting at every feeding.
If your baby is nursing well every 2-3 hours and having between 6-10 runny and mustard color stools and equal number of urine, then he must be getting enough breastmilk. I discourage moms who want to pump and place the breastmilk in a bottle so they know how much milk the baby is getting.

In brief: No need to know
Dr. Touraj Shafai
Dr. Touraj Shafai
Dr. Cindy Juster