I'm nursing my newborn, so should I wait till i'm not nursing anymore to have a glass of wine or a beer with dinner?

Dr. Jay Park

In brief: Light drinking OK

Light drinking ( a can of beer for an average-sized woman) may reduce milk production or alter the taste of milk but does not exert serious effect to the infant.
It is advised not to breast feed during and for 2-3 hours after alcohol consumption.

In brief: Light drinking OK

Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Jay Park

In brief: Good idea

Some alcohol can pass into breast milk.
At any level it can be toxic to the developing brain of baby.(formaldehyde is a breakdown product of ethanol) Some have offered the idea a little is okay, I cannot.

In brief: Good idea

Some alcohol can pass into breast milk.
Dr. Shalabh Bansal

In brief: Alcohol & nursing

Nursing mothers who choose to drink alcohol during the postpartum period should carefully plan a breastfeeding schedule by storing milk before drinking and waiting for complete elimination of alcohol from their breast milk after drinking.
Moetherisk.Org (toronto sick children's hospital) has a chart to estimate elimination time. Everyone is differnt and no alcohol may be best.

In brief: Alcohol & nursing

Dr. Shalabh Bansal
Dr. Shalabh Bansal
Dr. Jonathan Jassey