What is the long term effects of taking heart burn medication like prilosec? I heard it can thin your hair? Is this true? Any other long term effects?

Yes. Long term use of proton pump inhibitors like Prilosec can decrease your ability to digest and absorb food...Therefore they may lead to bone loss and vitamin/mineral deficiencies. Please see your doctor to discuss reflux and other treatments.
Yes, growing concern. That long-term use of proton pump inhibitors like Prilosec (ppi's) may increase risk for clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea (one that is becoming increasingly difficult to treat) & may also increase the risk of osteoporosis. Preventive measures such as adequate calcium & vitamin d3 in the diet (rather than supplements) & adequate weight-bearing exercise may counter bone integrity concerns.