Is there anything I can give my 9 month old for a cough?

Dr. Reid Blackwelder

In brief: No drugs!

Please do not give any medications to your 9 month old.
While it has been common practice in the past, and physicians often recommended drugs for cough and cold, recent studies have shown they do not help and may in fact cause harm. No child under 2 years old should take any cough/cold meds, including over the counter. Keep child hydrated, humidify air, and if it persists get evaluated for cause.

In brief: No drugs!

Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: Not Medicine

There are currently no medications recommended as safe and proven effective at this age.
Elevation, saline nose drops and a vaporizer/humidifier may help. The only exception, i know is a presribed bronchodilator if you child is wheezing. Herbal products, generally have also not been tested.

In brief: Not Medicine

Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond