If I have an asa, PFO with interatrial shunting visible on tee am I at an increased risk for a stroke and is there anything I can do to decrease risk?

Dr. Harinder Gogia
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

Presence of pfo is associated with increased risk of stroke.
You should consult a doctor and may benefit from taking a low dose Aspirin daily. Also you may be a candidate for pfo closure.

Dr. Harinder Gogia
Dr. Harinder Gogia
Dr. Edward Smith
Neurology

In brief: Yes and yes

With a right to left interatrial shunt, you are most definitely at increased stroke risk.
Besides taking antiplatelet & anticoagulant drugs, probably the best course would be to have an endovascular procedure in which the pfo is closed with a synthetic membrane, of which several types are on the market. Interventional cardiologists most frequently perform this very useful procedure.

In brief: Yes and yes

Dr. Edward Smith
Dr. Edward Smith
Dr. Eric Weisman