When can you start giving a baby water? My son is 5 months old and constipated...I've heard water could help. Is it too soon to give it to him?

In brief: Now is OK
If your kid is putting out rabbit pellets then water in small (ounce) quantities may help.
If you've started solids, applesauce & rice cereal have a constipating effect while barley seems to soften stools.Full strength apple or prune juice in ounce quantities will often loosen stool naturally.

In brief: Now is OK
Dr. Bryan Levey
In brief: Now
In newborns in the first few months of life the kidneys don't handle too much water very well.
Babies are designed to get their hydration from their mother's milk. Five month olds are still designed to get most of their hydration this way, but by this age the kidneys have matured enough to handle an ounce or two of water once or twice a day. And, yes, it can help with constipation.

In brief: Now
Dr. Bryan Levey
Dr. Bryan Levey
Dr. Arnon Rubin