I severely twisted my ankle.It was misplaced and put back manually. How long does it take usually to get back to normal and how sensitive is it afterwards? What should I do to strengthen it?

Dr. John Ayres
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Up to a year

Unfortunately a ligament injury can take longer to heal than a fracture.
Even after the pain is gone there can still be swelling and popping which means it's still healing. Try to combine ankle strengthening with contrast baths, but if symptoms persist after 3 months you should have it re-evaluated to make sure the joint cartilage was not injured. That may require an MRI to determine.

In brief: Up to a year

Dr. John Ayres
Dr. John Ayres
Dr. David Laha
Podiatry

In brief: Depends

Healing of any injury depends on the severity of the injury, joint involvement, your body's ability to heal and your compliance to your care.
Discuss with your doctor. It would not be unusual to take 6 months or longer to start feeling like you are getting close to normal. Can take a year. May always have sensitivity. Good physical therapy can be extremely helpful. Dr l.

In brief: Depends

Dr. David Laha
Dr. David Laha

In brief: 6 weeks

You suffered a severe injury.
You should be wearing a brace for support and should be going to physical therapy to strengthen the ankle and preserve range of motion.

In brief: 6 weeks

You suffered a severe injury.
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine