Why do I keep getting cold sores on my lip?

In brief: Viruses cause sores.

We all harbor the viruses that cause cold sores.
When our immune system is compromised these cold sores will continue to return. Getting a good nights sleep, a good well balanced diet and coping better with daily stress can go a long way to improving the health of your immune system. If your sores persist, please see your physician.

In brief: Viruses cause sores.

Dr. Jerrold Goldsmith
Dr. Jerrold Goldsmith
Dr. Aaron Smith
Dentistry

In brief: It's viral . . .

Cold sores on the outside of the lip are usually viral and the virus lives in the nerve of the affected side.
There are triggers that bring them about, such as sunlight, citrus fruits, stress and trauma. Find out which trigger is making them happen and you may be able to treat it more effectively. Creams or medication are both effective; just treat it when it is tingly to be most effective.

In brief: It's viral . . .

Dr. Aaron Smith
Dr. Aaron Smith
2 comments
Dr. Lindsey Wolfer
cold sores can be treated with a laser
Dr. Aaron Smith
Yes Dr. Wolfer, they can! Thank you for adding that. I do this in my office frequently and I find it is every bit as effective as Valtrex or Acyclovir when treated at the prodormal (initial) stage of the cold sore.
Dr. Dan Fisher

In brief: Nature of disease

Cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus and are recurrent by nature.
They are not predictable and always frustrating. If they ocurr frequently enough it might makes sense to take a daily medication to suppress them.

In brief: Nature of disease

Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. John Ebner
Dermatology

In brief: Chronic Carrier

If you keep getting cold sores (herpes simplex virus), you will likely benefit from daily suppressive therapy.
This is usually done for a period of 6 months to one year before taking a break to see if you stay clear.

In brief: Chronic Carrier

Dr. John Ebner
Dr. John Ebner
Dr. Jonathan Jassey