My father recently diagnosis with stage IV prostate ca with mets to multiple bones. Psa 9.5 and 11 months later psa was 97. Is this typical?

Pathology

In brief: Tumor progression

Metastatic prostatic carcinoma is growing and producing a lager tumor mass.
Blood levels of psa are a reflection of the tumor mass in the body and a rising level, unfortunately, is not a good sign.

In brief: Tumor progression

Dr. Liawaty Ho
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Unfortunately it is

Yes, bones would be the major organ where the prostate cancer would spread.
The psa increases along with the progression of the cancer. However, there are many options available now for stage IV prostate cancer- to name a few -include- androgen inhibitor like- lhrh agonist, bicalutamide, newer agents like enzalutamide, abiraterone, chemotherapies- i.e. Docetaxel, cabazitaxel, etc. D/w oncologist.

In brief: Unfortunately it is

Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Liawaty Ho

In brief: Usually

Prostate specific antigen is created by the cell membranes of the prostate gland.
The more cells there are, the higher the psa level (in general). So, as more tumor is created, the amount of the psa will increase in a relatively proportional rate. This 10 fold increase would suggest there is a greater tumor burden than earlier. There are exceptions, but this is usual.

In brief: Usually

Dr. Lester Thompson
Dr. Lester Thompson
Dr. Reid Blackwelder

In brief: Sadly, yes

Psa levels are most useful when following the effects of treatment for metastatic prostate cancer.
Your fathers level started high and unfortunately is now 10 times higher suggesting further spread of his cancer. I am sorry he is having to deal with such a difficult and often painful process. I know that is hard for you too.

In brief: Sadly, yes

Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Steven Seres