I ran out of my antacid ulcer medicine so I took some Tums (calcium carbonate) calcium/calcium supplement. Is that bad?

Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Tums (calcium carbonate)

Safe, as long as u don't use in excess, your calcium is normal, and your kidney functions are ok.

In brief: Tums (calcium carbonate)

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Garrett Caldwell

In brief: No

Although antacids do not work the same way or as effectively as a prescription medication, Tums (calcium carbonate) can be of minor help while you get your prescription refilled.
Make sure you see your doctor to make sure your current regiment is working for you.

In brief: No

Garrett Caldwell
Garrett Caldwell
Answer assisted by Garrett Caldwell, Medical Student
Dr. Frederick Singer
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: No.

Calcium carbonate was the first type of antacid and is safe to take unless your blood calcium is elevated or you have a history of calcium kidney stones.

In brief: No.

Dr. Frederick Singer
Dr. Frederick Singer
Dr. Arnon Rubin