I have been taking Zoloft (sertraline) for almost ten years now, ever since I gave birth to my son. Is it safe to just stop taking it? If not how do I get off it?

In brief: Discuss with your Dr

Zoloft (sertraline) is one of many medications that enter the central nervous system & work by altering the action of your neurotransmitters.
Abrupt withdrawal of the medication could disrupt whatever balance you have achieved. If your doctor agrees that you are ready to come off the medicine, a gradual tapering over many weeks or months is advised.

In brief: Discuss with your Dr

Dr. Francine Yep

In brief: Gearing up

Talk with your doc about tapering off your medication so that your body can get used to making more serotonin on its own.
Sometimes folks notice signs like lighteadedness, feeling space-y, headaches or feeling irritable. Hope this helps.

In brief: Gearing up

Dr. Francine Yep
Dr. Francine Yep
Dr. Steven Hill

In brief: Talk to doc

Talk to your doctor about tapering off and watch for side effects of withdrawal as well as return of depression or anxiety.

In brief: Talk to doc

Dr. Steven Hill
Dr. Steven Hill