I have been taking Zoloft (sertraline) for almost ten years now, ever since I gave birth to my son. Is it safe to just stop taking it? If not how do I get off it?

Discuss with your Dr. Zoloft (sertraline) is one of many medications that enter the central nervous system & work by altering the action of your neurotransmitters. Abrupt withdrawal of the medication could disrupt whatever balance you have achieved. If your doctor agrees that you are ready to come off the medicine, a gradual tapering over many weeks or months is advised.
Gearing up. Talk with your doc about tapering off your medication so that your body can get used to making more serotonin on its own. Sometimes folks notice signs like lighteadedness, feeling space-y, headaches or feeling irritable. Hope this helps.
Talk to doc. Talk to your doctor about tapering off and watch for side effects of withdrawal as well as return of depression or anxiety.