How can I tell if I have abdominal migraines?

Dr. Siegfried Schmidt

In brief: Migraine Variant

Abdominal migraine is a variant of migraine headache disorder. Found usually in children age 7-12 and very rarely in adults.
Positive family history of migraines makes it more likely. Some of the symptoms are midline abdominal pain and cramping, nausea, and vomiting. It responds to typical migraine treatment (acute and preventive). If first time it must be evaluated for other serious conditions.

In brief: Migraine Variant

Dr. Siegfried Schmidt
Dr. Siegfried Schmidt
Dr. Julian Bragg
Neurology

In brief: Rule out other cause

Since there is no definitive test, the primary thing to do is rule out other causes for your symptoms.
If everything else looks normal and the symptoms are consistent with abdominal migraine, a therapeutic trial of anti-migraine medication can be considered.

In brief: Rule out other cause

Dr. Julian Bragg
Dr. Julian Bragg
Dr. Vikram Patel