Are diet sodas and other products with artificial sweeteners safe to consume while pregnant?

Dr. David Galbraith
The american academy of pediatrics' committee on nutrition appointed a task force to investigate this question, and they concluded that all the currently available artificial sweeteners are safe during pregnancy.
The fda recommends that pregnant women limit aspartame consumption to "moderate levels"-- which is actually a lot more than you would think (roughly 10 cans of diet soda daily).

Dr. David Galbraith
Dr. David Galbraith
Dr. Bryan Treacy
Gynecology
In brief: Maybe not
I really think all diet drinks with aspartame (nutrasweet) are really not that safe whether pregnant or not.
I suspect aspartame barely got through onto the market. Some scary stuff about the use of aspartame. Splenda is in diet rite sodas and may be safer. Sweet and low seems to be safe despite past history. I think the safest sugar is stevia. No drink products have it though. Business idea?

In brief: Maybe not
Dr. Bryan Treacy
Dr. Bryan Treacy
Dr. Jonathan Jassey