I think I may have adult adhd. How should I go about bringing this up to my dr? Would I schedule an appointment, just call, or wait until my next physical? I'm afraid of being brushed off.

Dr. Carla Enriquez

In brief: Depends

Adult add can cause significant life and physical problems, but it is a pervasive long term problem. There must be a precipitant for you to ask this question.
So you should discuss it with your doctor. If you re brushed off, look for doctors in your area that treat adult add and ask for help. Look on chadd.Com and the national institutes of mental health website on adult add.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Make an appointment

If adhd symptoms are adversely affecting you, this warrants a thorough assessment -- and it should be from a professional expert in treating adhd.
If you're "brushed off", you have the wrong dr.

In brief: Make an appointment

Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Dr. Charles Barnhart
Besides agreeing with the other doctors, I'll add this: Those self-reporting tests for ADHD are positive for most all of us if we're stressed and distracted by other things, so you can't count on a test you take online. Also, low-dose amphetamines make most people pay better attention, so that fact makes your positive response to stimulants not a diagnosis clincher either. The important thing is: Is this a lifelong problem or is this something that's sprung up in adulthood? If it's the latter, you need to have a professional help you look at alternative explanations for your inattentiveness.
Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: Schedule appointment

Schedule an appointment so you can express your concerns face to face.
Be clear of what your concerns are and why you think you have ADHD

In brief: Schedule appointment

Dr. William Singer
Dr. William Singer