What type of doctor do I see for a herniated disc in my neck.?

Neurosurg or ortho. Both neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons with a spine fellowship are capable to perform the diagnostic workup that includes a history, physical and MRI interpretation. Both of these specialties also understand the various conservative treatments such as chiropractic, pt, pain management, and acupuncture. Your surgeon should be able to transcend the bias to operate and provide optimal care.
PCP or Physiciatrist. First a herniated disc is a not uncommonly finding on mris even in people who have never had neck pain. If you have pain, you may benefit from medication and physical therapy. If the non-invasive approach doesn't work, then you may want to go to a pain clinic for evaluation for blocks. When all fails or if there is neurologocal abnormalities all fails then you may want to see a spine surgeon.
Conservative Tx. It really depends on the extent and location of the herniation as well as the associated symptoms. Many times, this type of herniated disc can be managed conservatively with a combination of osteopathic manipulative treatment (non-high velocity techniques), physical therapy, anti-inflammatories and potentially steroid injections.
Depends. If surgery is required, orthopedic and neuro surgeons both do surgery for herniated discs in the neck. Because many patients with disc herniations will respond to nonoperative care, however, many patients will start out with their primary care doctor first who may use medications or a referral to a physical therapist, chiropractor, or interventional pain specialist to try to treat. Thank you.
Several can help. You can see your primary doctor, a neurologist, a physiatrist, a pain management specialist, an orthopedist or a neurosurgeon for treatment with 90% usually treated non surgically. This could include: medication, traction, a soft collar, physical therapy/exercises, time and possible epidural steroid injections as well as activity modifications and ceasing smoking if you have that habit.