How long should it take for a sprained ankle to heal, typically?

In brief: Depends on the grade
Depending on the grade of severity of the sprain, it could take from 1 week to never unless properly treated.

In brief: Depends on the grade
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Frank Holmes
Sports Medicine
In brief: Depends on severity
I will define "healed" by stating that it's the time when someone can return to their usual activities without pain or disability.
Full recovery from an ankle sprain varies with severity. I will give you some typical ranges: grade 1 (mildest injury): 1-2 weeks; grade 2: 2- 6 weeks; grade 3 (most severe): 6-12 weeks.

In brief: Depends on severity
Dr. Frank Holmes
Dr. Frank Holmes
In brief: 1-2 wks mild sprain
A mild sprain can heal in 1-2 weeks .
A more chronic sprain with ligament damage can take months.

In brief: 1-2 wks mild sprain
A mild sprain can heal in 1-2 weeks .
Dr. Lorry Melnick
Dr. Lorry Melnick
Dr. Stephen Daquino
Sports Medicine
In brief: Days to weeks
I tell most patients that for a grade 1 ankle sprain they will be about 70% better after 7-10 days.
Of course the healing process takes a few weeks longer. Ankle sprains heal faster if you start immediate range of motion exercises and progress to strengthening early on. A simple ankle brace can help. If you can't bear weight without pain you should have it checked out.

In brief: Days to weeks
Dr. Stephen Daquino
Dr. Stephen Daquino