Is it normal to have leg and knee pain while taking levaquin (levofloxacin)? Especially in the shins?

Dr. Robert Levine
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Possible
Levaquin (levofloxacin) can increase the risk of tendinitis and tendon rupture.
It is possible that you leg pain - depending upon location, could be a symptom of medication induced tendinitis.

In brief: Possible
Dr. Robert Levine
Dr. Robert Levine
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Possibly
Levaquin (levofloxacin) is an antibiotic from the type called quinilones which have been associated with tendon irritation and known cases of achilles tendon rupture.
Tendons/ligaments in the leg/shin could be affected. I typically do not see a significant amount of true joint pain with the medications, but i would never rule anything out 100%.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. Vikram Patel