Is it normal to have leg and knee pain while taking levaquin (levofloxacin)? Especially in the shins?

Possible. Levaquin (levofloxacin) can increase the risk of tendinitis and tendon rupture. It is possible that you leg pain - depending upon location, could be a symptom of medication induced tendinitis.
Possibly. Levaquin (levofloxacin) is an antibiotic from the type called quinilones which have been associated with tendon irritation and known cases of achilles tendon rupture. Tendons/ligaments in the leg/shin could be affected. I typically do not see a significant amount of true joint pain with the medications, but i would never rule anything out 100%.