I took an extra daily dose of folic acid yesterday and today I developed heartburn, can that cause heartburn?

Dr. Keegan Duchicela
In brief: Could depend on dose
I've had patients tell me that Folic Acid sometimes causes some gastrointestinal distress and heartburn, and it is a listed side effect.
Higher doses seem to do it more. That being said, most people taking extra Folic Acid are also pregnant - which is prime time for developing heartburn symptoms, independent of Folic Acid use.

In brief: Could depend on dose
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Vasu Brown
Wound care
In brief: Poor digestion
Heart burn is a sign of undigested food increasing Lactic Acid and peroxide in stomach - to ease the issue take betaine hcl with bromelain it will help digestion and pain.

In brief: Poor digestion
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Jane Van Dis