My fasting blood glucose ranges from slightly below 100 to 150 in the am - depending how low carb I eat. Should I ask my doctor for metformin?

Pathology

In brief: Consult your doctor

You should have an evaluation to establish if you have diabetes.
In case you do, you need to take a more holistic approach rather than demanding drugs. If you are overweight, losing about 10% of your body weight may improve Insulin sensitivity as can physical activity. Your doctor may recommend consulting a nutritionist for better choice of foods. If still needed, metformin may be used.

In brief: Consult your doctor

Dr. Shabbir Hossain

In brief: Perhaps

Fasting glucose readings up to 150 is definitively suggestive of insuin resistance, and therefore diabetes.
If you can control it with a low carb diet, exercise, weight loss and keep it around 100, you may be better off that way. But if that's not possible, metformin would certainly be a reasonable choice for 1st line therapy.

In brief: Perhaps

Dr. Shabbir Hossain
Dr. Shabbir Hossain
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology