I was diagnosed with minor placental abruption at 19 weeks pregnant. I am now 30 weeks and continue to spot daily. Now the spotting has gotten heavy enough to need a panty liner. Is there anything I can do to protect myself and my baby?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Take 1 day at a time
Once the placenta peels away from the wall of the uterus, it cannot adhere again.
Plus the condition that led to the abruption in the first place might still be present. Therefore, in most cases the best one can do is follow physician instructions, accept corticosteroids if offered to develop the fetal lungs and see each day as one more day the baby continues to stay inside the uterine environment.

In brief: Take 1 day at a time
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
In brief: No aspirin, exercise
Avoid all nsaids (aspirin, motrin, aleve, (naproxen) advil), do not exercise, avoid intercourse and heavy lifting, keep all your appointments, consider modified bedrest (although strict bedrest has not been conclusively proven to help it is frequently recommended).
Do not travel out of town and remain within 15 minutes from your maternity hospital at all times. Consider nightly vaginal progesterone.

In brief: No aspirin, exercise
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Adam Levy