I was diagnosed with minor placental abruption at 19 weeks pregnant. I am now 30 weeks and continue to spot daily. Now the spotting has gotten heavy enough to need a panty liner. Is there anything I can do to protect myself and my baby?

Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Patience.
Avoid all nsaids (aspirin, motrin, aleve, (naproxen) advil), do not exercise, avoid intercourse and heavy lifting, keep all your appointments, consider modified bedrest (although strict bedrest has not been conclusively proven to help it is frequently recommended).
Do not travel out of town and remain within 15 minutes from your maternity hospital at all times. Consider nightly vaginal progesterone.

In brief: Patience.
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. John Botti
In brief: Check with your OB!
There are several potential sources for spotting in the third trimester. In some pregnancies, small blood vessels on the cervix surface maybe vulnerable to a small amount of bleeding without harm. Examination of the cervix, ultrasound of the placenta and fetal growth, and blood pressure checks by your obstetrician should determine if there is a need to pursue further studies.

In brief: Check with your OB!
Dr. John Botti
Dr. John Botti
Dr. Jonathan Jassey