What does a bone marrow transplant do for sickle cell?

Replacing RBCs. Sickle cell disease is caused by a person producing faulty red blood cells (rbcs). Since all blood cells are produced in the bone marrow, a bone marrow transplant from a healthy donor should be able to replace the faulty bone marrow with healthy bone marrow that is able to produce normal red blood cells. However, this is not a common treatment so its clinical efficacy is not well-established.
Fixes the problem. The bone marrow transplant replaces the bone marrow stem cells with new stem cells from the donor that make normal red blood cells. By getting rid of the sickle red blood cells the sickle cell anemia is fixed. But, this is a very serious procedure with many risks and side effects that must be weighed before using this therapy.