I am a diabetic for 12 yrs and keep getting boilswhat can I do for this problem?

Dr. Susan Wingo
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Control sugars

This can be frustrating, because infections raise your sugars, and high sugars raise the likelihood of infection.
Sometimes a longer course of antibiotics can be used to suppress the boils for long enough to allow you and your doctor to get your blood sugars under good control. Showers are preferable to baths to prevent re-infection, and an anti-bacterial soap may be helpful as well.

In brief: Control sugars

Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Susan Arnoult

In brief: Difficult

Diabetes causes your immune system to function sluggishly and makes you more susceptible to infections.
The best defense is to have your diabetes WELL controlled - HbA1c 7.0 or less. Also, losing weight can be helpful if the boils are in areas where there are rolls of skin/fat and there is skin on skin.

In brief: Difficult

Dr. Susan Arnoult
Dr. Susan Arnoult